How Should Couples Avoid Fights About Money?April 22, 2013 Excerpt by Michelle Perry Higgins
1. Understand Your Finances: At least twice a month, sit down and review your pay stubs and bills together.
2. Develop a Savings Plan: Talk about how much money you should be putting away for the year, both individually and as a couple.
3. Make Wise Expenditures: Be absolutely sure the two of you discuss any big ticket items before making a purchase.
4. Be Honest About How Much You Owe: Never, ever conceal debt from one another.
5. Create a Budget: Establish firm spending limits for important household categories.
6. Get Professional Help: Take time as a couple to sit down with a solid financial adviser and review your investments, goals, financial plan and risk tolerances.